Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Out-of-state coverage

Coverage when working out of state

Note: The information below is provided for reference purposes only. It should not be construed as legal advice or interpretation of other states’ laws and rules. The information listed for any particular state may not be up to date as statutes, rules, and agreements may have changed. Employers are responsible for understanding and complying with each state’s requirements and should not rely solely on the information below.

Every reciprocating state has its own rules about when out-of-state employers are exempt and when they must obtain coverage. Before beginning work in another state, employers should contact their agent, insurer, or the other state’s workers’ compensation agency.

Here are some questions employers may want to ask before beginning work in another state:

  • Does the other state reciprocate with my state? Reciprocating states usually do not require out-of-state employers to obtain additional coverage for temporary work, though employers may have to meet other requirements to be exempt. If the other state does not reciprocate with your state, you probably need additional coverage.

  • How does the other state define "temporary"? Reciprocating states usually exempt out-of-state employers only when they are in the state temporarily. If your project is expected to last for an extended period of time, you should be aware of how the other state defines "temporary."

  • Are all my workers entitled to extraterritorial coverage? Reciprocating states usually require out-of-state workers and employers to have extraterritorial coverage. This means coverage under the laws of their own state that extends to workers temporarily employed in other states. However, some states do not extend extraterritorial coverage to workers who are not residents or who were not hired in-state. If some of the workers on your project are not covered by your extraterritorial coverage, you may need additional coverage.

  • Does the other state have restrictions for certain industries? Some states do not extend reciprocity to employers in certain industries, such as construction and professional sports. If you are in one of these industries, you may need additional coverage.

  • Do I need to file a certificate of extraterritorial coverage with the other state? Some reciprocating states require you to file a certificate affirming that you have extraterritorial coverage before you begin work. Your insurer can help you make sure this requirement is met.

State-by-state coverage and contact information is provided below. If you are an Oregon employer who intends to take on temporary work in another state, you should go to that state’s website or contact its workers’ compensation agency directly to learn more about the requirements you must meet. You should also contact your insurer before beginning work in the other state.

Out-of-state coverage for Oregon employers

By law, Oregon workers’ compensation insurance covers Oregon workers temporarily employed in other states. However, some states require Oregon employers to obtain additional coverage before starting work.

Whether an Oregon employer needs additional coverage depends on whether the other state has reciprocity with Oregon. A reciprocating state will usually not require an Oregon employer to obtain additional coverage for temporary work, although some states have restrictions for certain industries or situations. If an Oregon worker is injured while temporarily employed in a reciprocating state, they are only entitled to benefits under Oregon workers’ compensation law.

When a state is not reciprocating, an Oregon employer is usually required to obtain additional coverage before starting work in that state. An employer that does not obtain this coverage risks having to pay fines and claim costs if a worker is injured.

Reciprocity only applies to workers temporarily employed in another state. If an Oregon employer opens a permanent location in another state and hires workers, that employer would always have to obtain coverage that meets the requirements of that state’s laws.

Oregon coverage for out-of-state employers

An out-of-state employer who takes on temporary work in Oregon must obtain Oregon workers’ compensation coverage, unless the employer has extraterritorial coverage and is from a reciprocating state. Extraterritorial coverage is coverage obtained under the laws of one state that extends to workers who are temporarily employed in other states.

If an out-of-state employer opens a permanent location in Oregon and hires workers, that employer must always obtain Oregon workers’ compensation coverage. If you are unsure whether you are required to obtain coverage for workers temporarily employed in Oregon, please contact WCD or your own state’s workers’ compensation agency.

Reciprocal agreements

Oregon has agreements with several states which affect how claims for out-of-state injuries are handled. When one of these agreements is in place, it is noted in the information for that state.


Industrial Commission of Arizona
Industrial Commission ALJ Division
800 W Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007-2922


California Division of Workers' Compensation
1515 Clay St. 17th floor
Oakland, CA 94612

800-736-7401 (toll-free)

Florida Department of Financial Services Division of Workers' Compensation
200 East Gaines St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-4220

800-742-2214 (toll-free)

Idaho Industrial Commission
Employer Compliance Department
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0041


Oregon has a formal agreement​ with Idaho which affects how claims are handled when workers are hired in one state and injured in the other.

Workers' Compensation Board
General Counsel's Office
27 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333

888-801-9087 (toll-free)

Workers' Compensation Commission
10 East Baltimore St.
Baltimore, MD 21202-1641


Minnesota Labor and Industry
Special Compensation Fund - Insurance verification
443 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 64229

800-342-5354 (toll-free)

Mississippi Workers' Compensation Commission
P.O. Box 5300
Jackson, MS 39296-5300

866-473-6922 (toll-free)

Workforce Safety & Insurance
1600 East Century Ave., Suite 1
P.O. Box 5585
Bismarck, ND 58506

800-777-5033 (toll-free)

Oregon has a formal agreement​ with North Dakota which affects how claims are handled when workers are hired in one state and injured in the other.

Bureau of Workers' Compensation
30 West Spring St., Level 26
Columbus, OH 43215

800-644-6292 (toll-free)

Workers' Compensation Division
P.O. Box 14480
Salem, OR 97309-0405



Bureau of Workers' Compensation
Compliance Section
651 Boas Street, 8th Floor​
Harrisburg, PA 17121-0750


Division of Labor and Management
Missouri River Plaza
123 West Missouri
Pierre, SD 57501-2291


Texas Department of Insurance
Division of Workers' Compensation
7551 Metro Center Suite 100
Austin, TX 78744

800-252-3439  HelpLine (toll-free)
800-372-7713 Main office (toll-free)
800-252-7031, Option 1 customer service

Labor Commission of Utah
Extraterritorial Compliance
P.O. Box 146610
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6610


Washington State Dept. of Labor & Industries
Employer Services Program
Insurance Services Division
P.O. Box 44148
Olympia, WA 98504-4148


Oregon has a formal agreement​ with Washington which affects how claims are handled when workers are hired in one state and injured in the other.

Office of the Insurance Commissioner
Employer Coverage Division
P.O. Box 11682
Charleston, WV 25339-1682

304-558-6279, ext. ​1202

State of Wyoming
Department of Workforce Services
The Division of Worker's Compensation
1510 East Pershing Blvd. South Wing
Cheyenne, WY 82002

New Employers – Wyoming Department of Workforce Services

Reciprocates for some industries

State Board of Workers' Compensation
270 Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30303-1299

800-533-0682 (toll-free)

Montana Department of Labor & Industry
Employment Relations Division
P.O. Box 8011
Helena, MT 59604-8011


Oregon has a formal agreement​ with Montana which affects how claims are handled when workers are hired in one state and injured in the other.

Montana law does not extend reciprocity to employers engaged in construction work. If you are an Oregon employer considering engaging in construction work in Montana, or vice versa, you should speak to your agent or insurer about whether you need additional coverage.

Nevada Division of Industrial Relations Workers' Compensation Section, Employer Compliance Unit
400 W. King St. #400
Carson City, NV 89703


Workers' Compensation Division
Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
220 French Landing Dr.
Nashville, TN 37243-1002


Does not reciprocate

Alabama Workers' Compensation Division
649 Monroe St.
Montgomery, AL 36131

800-528-5166 (toll-free)

Alaska Division of Workers' Compensation
Workers' Compensation Division
1111 W 8th St., Room 305
Juneau AK 99801

P.O. Box 115512
Juneau AK 99811-5512

877-783-4980 (toll-free)

Arkansas Workers' Compensation Commission
324 S Spring St.
P.O. Box 950
Little Rock, AR 72203-0950

800-622-4472 (toll-free)

Colorado Division of Workers' Compensation
Insurance Programs
633 17th St., Suite ​400
Denver, CO 80202

888-390-7936 (toll-free)

Connecticut Workers' Compensation Commission
Capitol Place
21 Oak St., Fourth Floor
Hartford, CT 06106

800-223-9675 (toll-free)

Delaware Department of Labor
Division of Industrial Affairs
Office of Workers' Compensation
4425 North Market St.
Wilmington, DE 19802


Office of Workers' Compensation
64 New York Ave. NE
Washington, D.C. 20002


Department of Labor & Industrial Relations
Disability Compensation Division
830 Punchbowl St., Room 209
Honolulu, HI 96813


Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission
100 West Randolph St., Suite 8-200
Chicago, IL 60601


Workers' Compensation Board of Indiana (WCBI)
402 W. Washington St.
IGCS Room: W196
Indianapolis, IN 46204

800-824-COMP (toll-free)

Division of Workers' Compensation
1000 East Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50319-0209

800-JOB-IOWA (toll-free)

Kansas Division of Workers' Compensation
Compliance Section
401 SW Topeka Blvd., Ste. 2
Topeka, KS 66603


Kentucky Department of Workers' Claims
Mayo-Underwood Bldg., 3rd Floor
500 Mero Street​
Frankfort, KY 40601

Department of Workers' C​laims

Louisiana Workforce Commission Office of Workers' Compensation
P.O. Box 94040
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9040


Department of Industrial Accidents
Office of Chief Legal Counsel
1 Congress St., Suite 100
Boston, MA 02114

800-323-3249 (toll-free)

State of Michigan Workers' Compensation Agency
Compliance & Employer Records Division
P.O. Box 30016
Lansing, MI 48909

888-396-5041 (toll-free)

Division of Workers' Compensation
Fraud and Noncompliance Unit
P.O. Box 1009
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1009

800-775-2667 (toll-free)

Nebraska Workers' Compensation
Court Legal Section
P.O. Box 98908
Lincoln, NE 68509

800-599-5155​​ (toll-free)

State of New Hampshire
Workers' Compensation Division
95 Pleasant St.
Concord, NH 03301

800-272-4353 (toll-free)

New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development
Division of Workers' Compensation
John Fitch Way, 6th floor
P.O. Box 381
Trenton, NJ 08625-0381


Workers' Compensation Administration
P.O. Box 27198
Albuquerque, NM 87125


Workers' Compensation Board of NYS
328 State St.
Schenectady, NY 12305

877-632-4996 (toll-free)

Industrial Commission
Dobbs Building Sixth Floor
430 N Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27603

​(919) 716-7000​

Workers' Compensation Court
1915 N Stiles
Oklahoma, City OK 73105

855-291-3612  (toll-free)

RI Dept. of Labor & Training
Workers' Comp Unit
1511 Pontiac Ave.
P.O. Box 20190
Cranston, RI 02920-0629


South Carolina Workers' Compensation Commission
P.O. Box 1715
Columbia, SC 29202-1715


Department of Labor
Workers' Compensation & Safety Division
5 Green Mountain Dr.
PO Box 488
Montpelier, VT 05601-0488


Workers' Compensation Commission
333 E. Franklin St.
Richmond, VA 23219​

877-664-2566 (toll-free)​

Workers' Compensation Division
P.O. Box 7901
Madison, WI 53707-7901



Workers’ Compensation Division
888-877-5670 (toll-free)

Business Identification Number

Employer coverage indexing