Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

How to buy it

How do I get workers’ compensation coverage?

If you are an employer with one or more subject workers, you must purchase an Oregon workers' compensation policy. The insurer will file proof of coverage on your behalf.

You can get insurance from any insurer authorized to provide workers’ compensation coverage in Oregon. There are more than 300 such companies approved to write workers’ compensation policies. Many of these insurers sell policies through agents. Often, the agency that handles your other business insurance can help you place your workers’ compensation insurance. Some insurers will deal directly with you, and a few have made special arrangements to provide workers’ compensation through business organizations or associations.

If you cannot find an insurer willing to write your policy, you can get insurance through the Oregon Assigned Risk Insurance Plan. Oregon law requires workers’ compensation insurers to belong to an insurance plan for employers who cannot get insurance on the open market. The insurance plan is administered by the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI). NCCI requires a special application. A deposit must be made before your application is processed. After NCCI checks the application and establishes that you do not have a bad debt with a previous insurer, it assigns the account to an authorized Oregon insurer. To contact NCCI, call 800-622-4123 (toll-free) and ask for Oregon coverage, or you can visit Your insurance agent may help you complete the application.

The Office of Small Business Ombudsman (SBO) for Workers’ Compensation, part of the Department of Consumer and Business Services, serves as an independent advocate for small business and is available to discuss options with you. The SBO can be reached at 503-378-4209.

Additional information regarding workers’ compensation coverage can be found at

If you have questions, contact the Workers’ Compensation Division at 888-877-5670 (toll-free) or 503-947-7815, or by email at

​​​Help with workers’ compensation insurance
Workers’ Compensation Division
888-877-5670 (toll-free)

Business Identification Number

Employer coverage indexing

Small Business Ombudsman for Workers’ Compensation​​​​​​​

Active and Inactive Self-Insured Employers​​​​