Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

When your claim is closed

Claim closure 

Your claim will be closed when one of the following apply:

  • You are medically stationary, which means your physician determines no further significant improvement is reasonably expected from medical treatment or the passage of time
  • Your work injury is no longer the major cause of your disability
  • You fail to keep medical appointments

When your claim is closed, you will receive a Notice of Closure. It will tell you how much permanent disability has been awarded and give you with instructions on how to appeal.

If you disagree with your claim closure, you have the right to appeal by asking the Workers’ Compensation Division for a reconsideration. You must ask for the reconsideration within 60 days from the mailing date printed in box 1 on the front of your notice of closure.

More information on reconsideration

Benefits after claim closure

After you are medically stationary and your claim is closed, the insurer is responsible for future medical services with some limitations. Check with your insurer to determine what services are covered. Palliative care is covered if you are working and need the care to continue working or while you attend vocational training.

If your accepted condition gets worse after you become medically stationary, you may file a claim for aggravation to have your claim reopened. Here are the necessary steps:

Fill out a Form 827 at your doctor’s office and check the box that says “Report of aggravation of original injury.” 

Your right to reopen a claim ends five years after your claim is first closed for a disabling claim or five years after your date of injury for a nondisabling claim.

If your condition gets worse after your aggravation rights end:

  • You must contact the insurer.
  • The insurer may reopen your claim and pay you temporary disability compensation during your recovery.

​​​​​Help with claim closure and reconsideration
Ombuds Office for Oregon Workers
800-927-1271 (toll-free)

Benefit Consultation Unit
800-452-0288 (toll-free)

Appellate Review Unit
800-452-0288 (toll-free)

Para información en español