Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Independent and worker-requested medical examinations

Independent medical examinations (IMEs) are mandatory medical examinations, scheduled by the insurer, with doctors authorized by the Department of Consumer and Business Services. Not all workers’ compensation claims will include an IME. Workers’ compensation benefits may be stopped if you do not attend the scheduled IME.​

The insurer can only require you to attend three IMEs in each open period of a claim without additional authorization. Some IMEs may be scheduled with more than one health care provider at more than one location, but count only as one of the three IMEs. This is called a panel exam. Invasive procedures cannot be performed without your consent, and your benefits cannot be reduced or stopped if you decline an invasive procedure.

If you are scheduled to have an IME, but traveling to the location of the IME would cause an undue hardship or you can’t travel to it due to medical reasons, you can appeal the IME location. To do this, call the Workers’ Compensation Division (WCD) within six business days of the mailing date of your appointment notice. WCD will review your objection to the IME location and either help you and the insurer reach an agreement or issue a formal decision about the reasonableness of the IME location.

The insurer pays all costs of an IME. When you attend an IME, your insurer is responsible for helping with necessary costs for you to attend the IME. This includes, but is not limited to, mileage, child care, meals, and your lost net wages. ​You can request reimbursement of these costs in writing. Use Form 3921​ “Request for Reimbursement of Expenses” to request reimbursement from the insurer and include copies of your receipts. If you need payment in advance, you must ask for payment from the insurer as soon as possible.

To file a complaint or provide feedback about your IME, take this survey. After completing the survey, you will have an opportunity to file a complaint. If you have already taken the survey and still want to file a complaint, email​ or call 503-947-7606.​

​Worker-requested medical examinations (WRMEs) are available to eligible workers. If your claim was denied based on an independent medical examination (IME), and your doctor (attending physician) does not concur with the IME report, you may be eligible to request a medical examination by a doctor chosen by the Workers’ Compensation Division. You must appeal your denied claim in writing to the Workers’ Compensation Board within 60 days of the denial. Send a written request for an exam to the division and the insurer.

  • For help requesting a hearing on an insurer’s decision about your claim, contact the Ombuds for Oregon Workers at 800-927-1271 (toll-free) or 503-378-3351.

For more information, see the “Worker-requested medical exam guide” (4025).

​​​​​​​​​Get help​